What is Gourmet salt?
Gourmet salt is a type of salt that is considered to be of a higher quality or more specialty than regular table salt. It is often used by professional chefs and food enthusiasts to add flavor and depth to dishes.
Gourmet salt can be made from a variety of sources, including sea salt, rock salt, and mined salt. It can also be infused with a variety of flavors, such as truffle, garlic, or smoke, to add an extra layer of flavor to dishes.
Gourmet salt is often more expensive than regular table salt due to its higher quality and specialty nature. It is often sold in smaller quantities and in more attractive packaging, making it a popular gift item.
In addition to its use in cooking, gourmet salt is also sometimes used in non-food applications, such as in spa treatments and beauty products.
There are many different types of gourmet salt available, each with its own unique flavor and texture. Some popular varieties include:
- Fleur de sel – This is a delicate, flaky salt that is hand-raked from the surface of seawater ponds. It is prized for its delicate flavor and crunchy texture and is often used as a finishing salt.
- Smoked salt – This salt is infused with smoke flavor, usually from wood such as mesquite or hickory. It adds a subtle smoky flavor to dishes and is often used in grilling and barbecuing.
- Truffle salt – This salt is infused with truffle flavor, either from real truffles or truffle oil. It has a strong, earthy flavor and is often used to add depth and complexity to dishes.
- Himalayan pink salt – This is a type of sea salt that is mined in the Himalayan mountains. It has a distinctive pink color and is believed to contain a number of trace minerals that are beneficial for health.
- Black lava salt – This salt is infused with activated charcoal, which gives it a distinctive black color and a slightly earthy flavor. It is often used as a finishing salt and is popular in cocktails and meats.
In addition to these flavors, gourmet salt can also be found in a variety of textures, including fine, coarse, and flaky. The type of salt that is best suited for a particular dish will depend on the recipe and the desired flavor and texture.
Overall, gourmet salt is a versatile and flavorful ingredient that can be used to add depth and complexity to a wide range of dishes. It is a popular choice among professional chefs and home cooks alike and can be found in specialty food stores and online.